Saturday, October 24, 2009

What do I do if I dont get accepted to any law schools this year?!?! :o\?

Ok, I graduated from college last year, "studied" for the LSAT, then took it in December. My score was pure crap, so I took in again in February and I had to cancel it (its a long story). I still sent out my applications, hoping that one of the 25 schools would still like me, but it hasnt happened yet. I have 19 rejections, waiting on 1 and 5 waitlisted schools (although I only care about 2 or 3 of them).

I already took a year off, optionally...but I feel like such a pathetic bum now! I feel like my family wont be proud of me...like I'm a complete failure. I've cried more times than I care to remember. I'm praying to God for a miracle! I'm adding some more info to my apps on the waitlists (essay, prior work and letters of rec). Law school has been my dream and I dont want to change that!

BUT, what do I do if law school doesnt work out this year? I'll be sooo embarrassed in front of everyone! :o( Please tell me your thoughts, suggestions, words of wisdom!
Answers:
You are really distraught about this, I can tell. Rest assured that your family is already proud of you since you graduated and have been studying so hard.

If you do not get in this year, then start applying for jobs right away. Start with law firms. Try and get an internship or apprenticeship in a firm. Make connections and network. If the college you graduated from has a career center, start there to get a good resume and some leads. Talk to people at church, in the alumnae association, and your family. Anyone who can help you get a job is someone you should be networking with.

By having a job in a law firm, you will receive the encouragement you need to take the next step. Good luck and be patient. Know that your family and friends love you and they love you whether you get in this year or not.
Just keep studying for the LSAT and maybe take a class. I know that Kaplan offers a kind of expensive one. They have changed it now so that your highest LSAT score is the only one that schools take into consideration. Before they averaged the scores of the tests. I'm going to be honest with you though, law school is getting more and more competitive. They have almost twice as many applicants than 7 years ago for the same number of seats! I got good grades and a decent test score but 5 out of the 10 schools I applied to rejected me. I took 4 years off after college but I think that helped me get accepted into the other 5 because I did a lot of things. I worked at a law office, did real estate and lots of community service. (They like to know that you have assets that would contribute to their schools.) Don't be embarrassed though. Just try harder next time you take your test and maybe take a trip to a foreign country on your year off and do some type of charity work. All those things will help you get in next year.

Also, here is a website that can help you gage where you would fit in at the schools you are applying to if you haven't already found out about it.
What was your score when you took the LSAT the first time? I think LSDAS has a rule, something about a five year thing... basically they say that if you take the LSAT more than once within a five year span, they will average all those scores together and give one average score to the schools you apply to. So let's say you do something crappy like 140 and then take it again two years later and get 170...they will take those two scores and give 155 as your score to any schools you apply to. See what I mean?

A friend of mine said what worked for her was taking some prep course for the LSAT (it cost $1,000) - because it made a huge difference for her.
Be very thankful that you did not become a lawyer. I did, and I rue the day.
I remember the waiting game, so I feel your pain.

One piece of advice I can give you is that law schools are like airlines - they fill their seats based on an educated guess of how many people will actually show up. Some people commit and then get into somewhere they were waitlisted or decide that the time and expense of law school is not worth it. And when they change their minds they do not always let the school know. So until orientation starts the school is never certain of how many students they will actually have.

So pick a law school you applied to and find out when 1L orientation is. Show up the first day and go to the admissions office. Ask them if they have any openings. You might get lucky. Just make sure you have your financing lined up. Worse they can do is say no, and even then they will remember you and know that you are serious about going there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


What do I do © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net