Saturday, October 24, 2009

What defines solicitation?

Was at the premier showing of the new Pirates movies and had about 20 packs of pirate playing cards. I saw quite a few kids in line getting antsy and bugging their parents. (waited about 1 1/2 hours in line). I was GIVING away the playing cards and asked nothing in return. A security guard spotted me and said that I could not give the cards away. He said it was solicitation. I wasn't selling anything nor asking for anything in return. Was he right??
Answers:
solicit: in the Dictionary it means to accost. to try to obtain.

There are some states that say you can not Solicit { their meaning is not even hand out any thing }. In Calif. it don't matter. In Arizona, Nev., %26 Utah don't even try. Its a $500. fine if you are caught Solicitating.
The Guard may have thought you annoying people so he asked you to stop.
Solicitation include the giving away things. It is construed as advertisement.
If you were truly giving them away, I don't see a problem. Solicitation is defined by the law of your jurisdiction, but commonly involves attempting to involve someone else in an illegal act, such as prostitution, buying drugs, etc.
No. You did not ask for anything in return. or request they do something illegal. You were giving gifts to children (I hope with the consent of any parent present) and did nothing wrong. I would complain about it to the management.
they may have a policy about handing out anything, to keep away religious, political, social groups from harassing patrons waiting in line. i don't think it falls under the category of solicitation, the guard probably just used the wrong word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


What do I do © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net