Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What does FREEDOM mean to you?

"My country, 鈥檛is of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing;
Land where my fathers died,
Land of the pilgrims鈥?pride,
From every mountainside,
Let freedom ring!

My native country, thee,
Land of the noble free,
Thy name I love;
I love thy rocks and rills,
Thy woods and templed hills;
My heart with rapture thrills,
Like that above.

Let music swell the breeze,
And ring from all the trees,
Sweet freedom鈥檚 song;
Let mortal tongues awake;
Let all that breathe partake;
Let rocks their silence break,
The sound prolong.

Our fathers鈥?God, to Thee,
Author of liberty,
To Thee we sing;
Long may our land be bright
With freedom鈥檚 holy light;
Protect us by Thy might,
Great God, our King."

What does freedom mean to you?
Answers:
Freedom to me means using my property for my benefit, the right to do things I want to do if they don't hurt anyone else, the absence of government regulations that are unnecessary, maybe even some regulations that others feel are necessary.
Avoidance of excessive tax burdens and freedom from reporting the details of my business to the government on a 1040, or a schedule C, or a 1065, or an 1140, etc. The right to raise kids without government interferance. Freedom from stupid people like the Federal Reserve Board lying to me about controlling inflation by raising interest rates. I could go on and on but I think freedom generally means the absence of government, not the expansion of government.
Freedom is not having a gun in your face or a tank on your street.
Being able to say to your leaders "You suck" and not being beheaded.
Being able to smile at a boy and not being stoned to death by your own family.
Freedom is also getting a speeding ticket, paying taxes, losing a family member in a war.
Nothing in life is free
freedom is a trip %26 travel

sun %26 sea

what else...
Responsibility. Freedom cannot be understood apart from its #1 attribute, which is that when one is free to act, one is responsible for the consequences of that action. If one is not free (because under compulsion, insane lack of understanding, or similar cause) then one is not responsible.
No taxes.
No insurance. (what happened to the old days when doctors made house calls, and they'd trade a penicillin shot for a pot of spaghetti? or a couple of chickens? I'll answer that myself - malpractice suits.)
Freedom from frivolous liability suits.
Freedom of speech.
Freedom of religion ( and that includes the right to say a prayer in a public school)
Freedom to express my own opinion.
The right to bear arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


What do I do © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net