Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What do you think of this crap...this guy calls me in for an interview. It took me over an hour to get to the?

place. Then, he tell me that they really don't have an opening and are interviewing just in case somebody quits. I think this really sucks. If you are going to have a person come all that way for a job interview, there should at least be a vacany, not a potential vacany. This is anothe piece of crap that really bugs me. At the cost of gas these days, I'd say it cost me at least $15.00 dollars to get there and back, only to find that there is no vacancy What say you?
Answers:
I am so sympathetic with what you say and so angry . the way people are treated in the workforce is disgusting plus the invasive questions asked as well as having to know all your work History , its all a form of bullying , references are worthless but to be manipulative they all set such good store by them

But they know we are powerless , except to work for ourselves then big business comes after us
Perhaps we will get more respect after the bird flu , but then of course it will lead to a recession ,
Can you bad mouth blog theses sons of Mother Ficking Biches ?
I agree that's pretty f***ed up
id send him a bill for the gas and say you were not impressed with having your time wasted like that wen you could have been to an interview that actually has an opening
It certainly was unethical. He should have informed you that there were no current vacancies. It should have been your decision to travel for the interview with the knowledge there was no current opening. But now it is time to move on and keep up your job search. Good luck.
Yeah thats really jacked up. If thats the way they run there show you definitely dont want to work for them.
You should write a letter of complaint (when things are in writing they are more likely to be taken seriously) to the Complaints Manager and ask for a reimbursement of your petrol (gas) money. They should have told you what excatly you were going in for ... time wasters!
no idea.
You should have asked him to pay your expenses seeing as there was no job that sucks
Yes, tough. But surely before going for an interview, you check that you can recover your expenses. That is normal practise in the UK, otherwise you don't attend the interview. If they are seriously interested in you, they will be happy to cover expenses.
They should hang him by fish hooks and then pour 15 dollars worth of gasoline on him,then light him up! I guarantee you the next time he'll be much more respectful and responsive to potential employees!
agree it sucks but would you want a job with a company like that - think you had a lucky escape

and at dellboy _ who pays your expenses for interviews?? thats a new one on me and i've been to a few
Yeah, he was out of line with that!

However, I hope that you took it cheerfully..at least while he was looking! You might have been told in a round about way that there is someone in the company that they expect is either going to quit or be fired shortly. They do not have an exact date, but, they know it will happen. That is what I would read into his actions.

If not, since you can't do anything about it, why don't you think of this as a dress rehearsal for the next interview? Stupid pet trick on his part! Try to find something positive anyway.might make you feel a bit better about the fifteen bucks!
They do the same here dude. But they dont tell you.
They also have decided by positive discrination who they will take on here, and interview loads of people that they dont want so they aint seen to be doing it.

Theres nothing great about britain any more.
I agree with the above, certainly put your complaint in writing to somebody higher up than him. It's unfair to expect people to travel for an interview when there isn't a vacancy at all. State your case, and hopefully you'll get a reply.
That sucks...
Phone them, and threaten to take them to court for misleading you
I'd be hoppin mad %26 write to the Human Resources manager or owner if its a small company. Tell him you would like a gas voucher or reimbursement and also you believe it should come from this persons check as it was a total waste of your time and since you are not working, money invested in getting a new job. I'd also write a letter to the editor of the paper in that area and stress the shoddy practices of that company. Good luck in the job search. I'm there with you, looking for a job myself.
I can sympathize. I went to an interview once, parked my car and went in. The lady interviewing me had HORRIBLE body odor. Then I had to take a stupid typing quiz. I knew there was no way I was going to take the job, and I seriously considered just walking out and saying nothing, but I stayed for the interview experience. When I went outside, my car had been towed. For a waste of time, I had the privelege of paying $100+.

Lesson: follow your gut. I totally agree with your assessment about interviewing - they should only do it if they have a vacancy . You should have told them to f-off and left. Of course, I understand that's easier said than done in job-search mode. In this case though it sounds worth it.

Still, a lot of places probably do that interview with no vacancy thing so be persistent.

If you don't mind cutting ties completely with the company, I would also mention the name of the company and who you dealt with here on FreeLawAnswer.com s. No point in complaining if you don't name names.
He was completely unprofessional and that should give you a good indication of what it would be like to work for him. When I interview for a job, I am interviewing them as much as they are interviewing me. This guy just flunked your interview, and if he were to call you for the job, I would tell him to go pound sand.

As unprofessional as he sounds, he is anticipating vacancies becoming available, thus the interview process has begun, and no wonder people are leaving his company.
Avoid this place like the plaque!
you may be able to claim these expenses on your income tax.
I have no idea if this is true in your case or not, but a company I use to work for had a service mgr. (I was the shop foreman he was my boss) who would do that if some one came in for an interview that he quite simply just didn't like!
Several issues.

First, yes, you can claim the mileage or actual expense for gas for travelling to a job interview on your taxes. Although it most likely will not be worth it. You get $0.48.5 cents per mile.

Second, writing a letter will do nothing but make you feel good. Legally, you were offered an interview, you accepted and it took place. The implied contract was fulfilled.
This has happened to me several times and there are few things more disheartening. However, on this occasion, why not make use of the interview? Instead of complaining, make a point of writing to the person concerned indicating your interest and keep on writing unless and until you've sorted out another job. That way, you'll come over as very keen.

I once turned up for a job interview which had been set for what seemed a rather eccentric time, as it was after normal working hours. When I got to the offices concerned, they were locked and I felt hopping mad at being made a fool of. The following morning I turned up at those offices and demanded to see the person concerned. He was visiting from Switzerland, where the job was based. He was deeply embarrassed at what had clearly been an administrative muddle and so I had the advantage, as I sat there telling him how deeply hurt and offended I had felt and how much this job had meant to me. while he paced up and down uncomfortably. The job had been offered to someone else, but within a few weeks I had a telegram from his office in Switzerland with a job offer. That's why I tell you to keep pushing at the door!
Hey so sorry for you - what a horrible way to conduct business.
I would write a letter to their HR department, it seems like larger companies like to do this sort of thing. A company I worked for did this just to keep a resume/applicant pool available. Its very abusive really, just goes to show how bad the corporate mentality is getting. We really aren't human to some anymore. It's also pointless, as by the time the company needs that person they will most likely be employed elsewhere. I think it is just a dim idea in a business book somewhere - not practical in the actual world, but people do it. To "increase efficiency" when all it is mean and a waste of everyone's time, like most business school ideas. Frankly, you are pretty powerless. HR exists to protect the company - you will probably get a meaningless letter back from them. Just remember the name of the company and steer clear of them.
I went to a job interview where I felt like the guy didn't ask much. They called me in for a 2nd interview, and while in the lobby there was a woman on her 4th... I did not come in when the called me in for a 3rd.

I would just do the interview as if its real and practice your interview skills. Talking into the mirror or role playing with a friend doesn't compare to the real thing, and interviews have become very nuanced and downright wacky in some cases, you can't have too much practice.

If it really bothers you, this might be something you ask on the phone while setting up the interview, you might word it something like, "How soon are you looking to bring someone on", or "what is the timeframe for hiring".

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


What do I do © 2008. Design by: Pocket Web Hosting

vc .net